Mailing Address

Buffalo, NY 14261-0051

Phone Hours

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

North Campus

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Office Hours

M–F: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

South Campus

1 Diefendorf
M, W, Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tu: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

Students at the Honors College in Capen Hall
Home > Types of Aid > Federal Work-Study Program

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study program provides employment opportunities in various offices on campus and in community service agencies to students who demonstrate financial need. If you qualify for the Federal Work-Study program at the University at Buffalo you may select from a variety of jobs to meet your interests, skills and career paths. You will be paid at an hourly rate and receive paychecks every two weeks for the hours worked. Federal Work-Study will not be credited to your student account.


Federal Work-Study eligibility is determined each year as a result of early application of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and your financial need. Funding levels and number of positions are limited, so positions are not guaranteed from one year to the next. To qualify for the Federal Work-Study program you must:

Finding an On-Campus Job

Students looking for on-campus employment should check postings in Bullseye powered by Handshake. UB offices and departments will post available positions as needed. We encourage you to apply for a position even if you are not offered a work-study financial aid award.

You will only be able to work for one department through this program.


Students who are offered, and accept, a Work-Study award will be sent information on additional requirements to their email beginning in August, for an academic year award, or if accepted after classes begin, approximately a week after accepting the work-study. The email will include your appointment form, which you will need to print and take to your prospective supervisor before the deadline specified on the form. Your supervisor will submit the appointment form, along with all other documents required by the payroll and human resources departments.

Keep your information up to date by notifying us if you have a change in address.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.