Mailing Address

Buffalo, NY 14261-0051

Phone Hours

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

North Campus

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Office Hours

M–F: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

South Campus

1 Diefendorf
M, W, Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tu: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

South Campus Neuroanatomy Museum
Home > Graduate/Professional Students

Graduate/Professional Students

The financial aid process for graduate and professional degree students is similar to that of an undergraduate student; however post-baccalaureate students also need to be aware of a few additional factors that may influence your financial aid awards.

Types of Aid Available

Federal financial aid options that you may be eligible for include:

To be eligible for federal financial aid awards you must complete a FAFSA application and indicate that you are seeking a graduate or professional degree.

New York State also offers financial aid for graduate study in New York State, including the following selected programs:

You must complete a New York State TAP application along with a corresponding supplemental application for the NYS funds listed above.

Please refer to Financial Aid’s guidance on Graduate Fellowships and Scholarships, and The Graduate School’s assistance regarding jobs, assistantships, fellowships and scholarships.

Students may also consider alternative loans from private lenders as a means to cover any remaining educational expenses.

Things to Consider When Applying for Financial Aid

Assumed Budgets

It is important to complete your registration prior to applying for a Federal PLUS Loan or a private loan as the amount you are eligible for may change if you add or drop classes. Students in graduate and professional degree programs are initially packaged with an “assumed” cost of attendance, which is also referred to as your budget. The initial budget may be higher or lower than your true budget which is based on your registration.

Budget Increases

Your financial aid budget is determined by a combination of direct expenses that UB will bill to you and estimated, indirect expenses that you may incur as a result of pursuing your degree. You may request a budget increase if your actual, reasonable expenses are higher than the amount allotted in your current budget. Submit a Budget Increase Request form along with supporting documentation to a financial aid advisor for review.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards

SAP standards will vary depending on what program you are enrolled in. Review the requirements each term and contact your academic or a financial aid advisor if you have concerns about maintaining a good SAP status.

Dual Degree Programs

Students completing the undergraduate portion of a dual degree program during the summer term should initially complete the FAFSA as an undergraduate student enrolled in a bachelor’s degree program. At the end of the summer term, you must revise your FAFSA to indicate that you are now enrolled in a graduate or professional degree program.

Contact our office during the summer term if you require assistance in revising your FAFSA.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.