Verification is the process of confirming the accuracy of the information reported on the FAFSA. Students selected for verification are required to submit supporting documentation to enable the financial aid team to complete the review.
How do I know if I have to complete the verification process?
Your Student Aid Report (SAR) will include a comment informing you that you have been selected for verification. A list of required documentation will be added to your To Do List in HUB Student Center. You will also receive a Missing Information Notification email letting you know the checklist items were added.
How does the verification process affect my financial aid?
UB will not disburse any federal financial aid awards to your account until the verification review process has been completed. You are required to complete the verification review even if you are selected after your financial aid has disbursed.
Failure to submit the requested documentation will result in a loss of federal financial aid for the award year due to inability to determine eligibility.
To prevent processing delays:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to pull your income information from your tax return into your FAFSA;
- Complete the Dependent or Independent Verification Form in its entirety. Do not leave blanks;
- Put your UB Person Number at the top of each page of each document that you submit;
- Submit ONLY the documentation that has been requested (schedules and addendums to tax returns only need to be submitted if specifically requested);
- Submit all documentation at the same time.
Submitted documents will not be returned so we recommend that you submit clear copies instead of original documents.
Required verification documentation must be received by the Financial Aid Office by April 15 of the academic year in which you are requesting the aid to be applied. Documents received after this date will not be considered. If you are only seeking a Federal Pell Grant, you must submit your documentation to the Financial Aid Office by the following deadlines:
- 2018-2019 Academic Year: The earlier of September 1, 2019 or 100 days from your last date of attendance.
- 2019-2020 Academic Year: The earlier of September 1, 2020 or 100 days from your last date of attendance.
Expect Financial Aid Emails
After reviewing the documents you submitted, we may need to request additional information and/or documentation to resolve any remaining discrepancies. We will send an email to your buffalo.edu email account with details about what it needed. We will also notify you by email when the review process is complete.
Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.