Mailing Address

Buffalo, NY 14261-0051

Phone Hours

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

North Campus

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Office Hours

M–F: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

South Campus

1 Diefendorf
M, W, Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tu: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

Undergraduate Student Matt Rivera and Friends on the North Campus
Home > Transfer Students

Transfer Students

Welcome to the University at Buffalo! We hope you are taking advantage of the tools available to you to help make your transfer to UB a great experience!

You may be wondering how the transfer from one school to another affects your financial aid status. There are a few steps that you should complete to make sure you are maximizing your UB financial aid award package.

Make sure UB’s Federal School Code (SUNY at Buffalo – 002837) is listed on your FAFSA. We are not able to determine your eligibility for federal financial aid until we have a valid FAFSA on file. Access your FAFSA to confirm or add our school code.

If you are an undergraduate resident of New York State, visit the HESC website to confirm that UB’s NYS TAP Code (SUNY Buffalo – 1010) is listed on your application.

If you were receiving financial aid from outside organizations at your prior school, contact the organization to find out if the award is transferrable to UB. If it is, contact the Office of Student Accounts to find out how to apply the award to your UB student account.

Your financial aid award package at UB will take into consideration any federal and New York State aid that you have already received at other schools. It is important to know the maximum amount of aid you are eligible to receive over your lifetime. If you are unsure of your current financial aid status, make an appointment to speak to an advisor to review your financial aid history.

Federal Pell Grant: The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of six years of Pell Grant funding.

Direct Subsidized & Unsubsidized Loans: The following chart shows the annual and aggregate limits for subsidized and unsubsidized loans. You can track your federal loan activity through the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).

Financial Aid Limits Based on Student Year and Status
Year Dependent Students (except students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS Loans) Independent Students (and dependent undergraduate students whose parents are unable to obtain PLUS Loans)
First-Year Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit $5,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans $9,500: No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans
Second-Year Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit $6,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans $10,500: No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans
Third-Year and Beyond Undergraduate Annual Loan Limit $7,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans $12,500: No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans
Graduate or Professional Students Annual Loan Limit Not Applicable (all graduate and professional students are considered independent) $20,500 (unsubsidized only)
Subsidized and Unsubsidized Aggregate Loan Limit $31,000: No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans $57,500 for undergraduates: No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.
$138,500 for graduate or professional students: No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate aggregate limit includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study

New York State TAP Grant: The NYS Higher Education Services Corporation maintains records of student TAP awards by assigning points for each payment. A full semester TAP award equals six (6) payment points; a trimester or quarter award equals four (4) payment points; and a half-time award equals three (3) payment points. Part-Time TAP and Part-Time VTA points will reflect prorated points based on the certified number of credits a student is enrolled in.

As provided in Education Law, an undergraduate student has a total of four years (or a total of 48 points) of award eligibility or five years (or 60 points) if enrolled in an approved five-year program (EOP).

Visit the HESC website to check your TAP status and payment history.

Academic policies will vary from school to school. It is important that you review UB’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements to make sure you are on the right track. Contact your academic or a financial aid advisor to review your current status.

Will I have to complete another Master Promissory Note (MPN) or Entrance Counseling before I can receive federal loans at UB?

If you have completed an MPN and entrance counseling within the last 10 years, you will probably not be required to complete them again. If we determine that your previous MPN or entrance counseling has expired, we will add the requirement to your HUB To Do list, and notify you by email that they are required. Check your HUB to do list regularly to make sure your financial aid is processed quickly.

Will I have to start repaying the loans I borrowed from my prior school(s)?

Most lenders and loan servicing organizations that participate in the National Student Clearinghouse also participate in our paperless deferment process. With this process, no paper forms need to be completed by either students or schools. Students must simply call their servicer to request deferment. The servicer then posts a deferment to the student’s account after the student’s verbal order is confirmed with the National Student Clearinghouse.

How do I request a book voucher to buy my books?

UB does not issue book vouchers; however Campus Cash is available to purchase your books.

I already have health insurance; do I have to accept the insurance offered through UB?

The UB Student Medical Insurance Policy and premium is mandatory for attendance unless your current health insurance meets the waiver requirements. Waiver applications are only available during a certain time frame. Read the University Policy for Health Insurance to determine if you are eligible for the waiver.

How will my transfer credits affect my financial aid?

Academic progress is reviewed for many financial aid awards. To be eligible for federal financial aid, students must meet all Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements, which includes a pace rate component. Students must demonstrate progress by accumulating academic credits at a rate that indicates graduation in a timely manner. If you are a NYS TAP grant recipient, you must be matriculated into an approved major (not undecided, intended or applied) by the time you reach junior status.

Meet with your academic advisor if you are concerned about your transfer credits affecting your status.

When will my financial aid disburse and how will I get my refund?

Financial aid disbursement dates will vary depending on several factors. Your career, the specific award process and factors like outstanding HUB To Do items will determine when your aid will disburse. When your financial aid does disburse, the funds will be sent directly to your student account. If the amount of your aid exceeds the amount you owe, the Office of Student Accounts will issue you a refund. The fastest way to receive your refund is to enroll in direct deposit; otherwise a check will be issued and mailed to you.

Are there scholarships available to me?

Visit our Transfer Student Scholarship Information website and talk with your academic department to see if you are eligible for awards offered through UB. We also encourage students to talk with outside organizations like employers or social groups to find out if they offer educational assistance to members attending school.

Reference the Financial Aid website to learn about the various types of financial aid or the processes to receiving your aid.

Items listed in your HUB To Do list are hyperlinked to provide an explanation and instructions to complete the requirements. Click “more” to see what action is needed, where to send missing documents, and how your aid may be affected.

Visit the online support site for HUB to access dozens of web-based tutorials and PDF how-to guides to assist you with performing specific activities within HUB.

Attend a Transfer Orientation session to meet with representatives from different UB departments.

Check the Need To Know box on MyUB regularly to find important alerts that may affect you!

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.