Mailing Address

Buffalo, NY 14261-0051

Phone Hours

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

North Campus

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Office Hours

M–F: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

South Campus

1 Diefendorf
M, W, Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tu: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

Kayakers on Lake LaSalle on UB's North Campus

Study Abroad FAQ

Q: Is financial aid available to all students who participate in study abroad programs?

A. To be considered for financial aid, you must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. You must also be enrolled for a minimum of six (6) credits and be matriculated in a degree program in which all credits earned will be applied to your degree requirements. If you are currently receiving financial aid, and maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), you are probably eligible for financial assistance for your term abroad.

If you participate in a UB or four-year SUNY school sponsored program, you can apply your financial aid award (excluding Work-Study) to the costs of the study abroad program.

Q. What if the program abroad in which I am interested is more expensive than attending UB?

A. In some cases, it is possible to have your award increased. The circumstances under which this may apply will be different for each individual student and dependent upon the study abroad program. In order to be considered for an increase, you need to make an appointment with a financial aid advisor. It is necessary to provide a financial aid advisor with an itemized cost list that will show the increase in your financial needs. This list is usually provided by the program’s sponsoring campus.

Q. Is financial aid available for summer study abroad?

A. Students eligible for financial aid during the academic year usually qualify for certain types of financial aid during the summer. The aid available to students includes the Federal Direct Loan, Pell Grant, and the Parent Plus Loan. To be considered for financial aid you must file a FAFSA form.

In order to receive financial aid for the summer session, you must be enrolled for a minimum of six (6) credit hours and be matriculated in a degree program. Financial need must be demonstrated as defined by federal regulations. Any financial aid received during the summer may affect your eligibility for financial aid during the subsequent academic year.

If you will be applying for a loan during the summer, you will need to fill out a summer aid application. See the summer aid page for more information.

Q. Will I still be eligible for financial aid if I am not going on a UB-sponsored study abroad program?

A. Students who enroll in a SUNY Community College or non-SUNY sponsored program are not enrolled through UB and therefore will not qualify for financial aid through UB.

Q. Are there financial resources other than Federal and State Aid that can be used to finance study abroad?

A. There are many scholarships available for studying abroad offered by a variety of organizations: government (both US and foreign), civic organizations (Rotary Club) and sometimes-private companies. The Study Abroad Office has information and books about the different kinds of scholarships and their eligibility requirements. Other types of scholarships include: the Fulbright Scholarship, which is offered to students wishing to pursue a specific field of study in a certain country; the Monbusho Scholarship, which is provided by the Japanese government to undergraduate and graduate students who will be studying in Japan for a year; and other travel grants. Information is also available at UB’s libraries and through various internet sites.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.