Mailing Address

Buffalo, NY 14261-0051

Phone Hours

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

North Campus

M–Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.

Office Hours

M–F: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.

South Campus

1 Diefendorf
M, W, Th: 8:30 a.m.–5 p.m.
Tu: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
F: 10:30 a.m.–5 p.m.

Hayes Hall in winter, UB's South Campus
Home > Types of Aid > Winter Session Financial Aid Eligibility

Winter Session Financial Aid Eligibility

Current UB students may be eligible for financial aid for winter session.

To be considered to receive financial aid:

  • Review the frequently asked questions below prior to registering for winter session.
  • You must meet the minimum Federal Student Aid Eligibility Guidelines.
  • You must be matriculated (officially enrolled in a degree program).
  • Complete the current year FAFSA.

Winter Session Financial Aid FAQ

Is UB’s winter session considered a stand-alone term for financial aid eligibility?

No. For financial aid purposes, the winter session is not considered a stand-alone term. However, the Financial Aid Office will adjust your cost of attendance for spring to include winter session registration. Any courses taken during this session will be combined with spring registration to determine federal financial aid eligibility. New York State awards will be based on spring registration only.

Is financial aid available for the winter session?

Only currently matriculated University at Buffalo students may be eligible for aid for the winter session. Federal financial aid eligibility is based upon the combined winter and spring registration. There is no state financial aid available for the winter session.

How do I apply for federal aid for the winter session?

You must have a current year FAFSA on file to be eligible for federal aid. There is no additional application required. The Financial Aid Office will automatically review your federal eligibility based on combined winter/spring registration.

Can I receive financial aid if I’m planning to graduate after the winter session?

It is highly recommended you contact our office to determine if there is aid eligibility prior to the end of the fall semester.

Will my spring financial aid awards pay for my winter session courses?

Your spring financial aid may pay for both winter and spring charges. If your award is not enough to cover both terms, you will see a balance that remains on both the winter and spring terms. Keep in mind, additional charges will reduce any anticipated refunds.

I’m already registered full time for the spring semester. How can I cover the cost for winter registration?

If you’ve already been awarded a full-time package based upon your grade level and dependency status, adding winter registration will not increase your Pell or Direct Loan eligibility. Federal Direct PLUS loans, private loans or the spring term payment plan may be options to help you cover your expenses.

When are my loans going to disburse and refund if I take classes during the winter session?

Financial aid funds will disburse to the student’s account on or after the spring disbursement date. If there is a credit on the account, refunds will be done after the spring census date.

Can my PLUS loan be increased to cover my winter session expenses?

We will not automatically increase your PLUS loan if you add winter registration. Your current spring aid including any PLUS loans you are receiving will apply toward both your winter and spring charges. If it’s not enough to cover all of the charges, you can submit an additional PLUS loan application.

Can I use my Federal Work-Study funding to work hours during winter session?

Students awarded with Federal Work-Study for the academic year will be permitted to work during the winter session providing the employer is able to accommodate the student during this period.

Will satisfactory academic progress status be reviewed at the completion of the winter session?

There is no review after the winter session. Therefore, your winter grades will not change your federal financial aid satisfactory academic progress (SAP) status for spring semester. SAP will be reviewed at the conclusion of the spring semester. Prior to adding or resigning any courses, contact your academic advisor and our office.

What happens to my financial aid if I resign a winter course(s)?

Financial aid awards are based on combined winter and spring credit hours registered by the spring census date. If your registration falls below full-time (12 credit hours—combined winter and spring registration), your financial aid award will be adjusted. Prior to resigning any course, you should contact your academic advisor and our office.

I want to participate in a study abroad program during winter session. May I use my financial aid to cover additional expenses?

A study abroad program during this session will be combined with spring registration to determine financial aid eligibility. Make arrangements to use personal funds to pay for travel and other expenses that you may incur prior to the start of your program. The Financial Aid Office is unable to authorize Federal financial aid to disburse prior to the start of your program. We recommend you contact our office  to discuss options for financing your study abroad program in advance of your travel.

Will the financial aid offices be open?

Yes, the Financial Aid Office will be open with regular business hours.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.