Summer Session Aid
The last day to complete a Summer Aid Application (PDF) is Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:59 pm est.
Students who wish to be considered for summer financial aid must be registered for at least six (6) credit hours before beginning the summer financial aid process. Once your 2016 Summer Aid Application has been processed, you will receive an email to access and accept your financial aid via the HUB.
There is a limit to the amount a student can receive in Pell Grant and Direct Loans in one academic year. Utilizing the Pell Grant and/or the Direct Loans during the summer term will reduce what you will be offered in those funds for the fall/spring terms. Contact your financial aid advisor if you have any questions on how utilizing summer aid will affect the federal aid available to use for the fall/spring terms.
The last day to complete a summer financial aid application in your HUB Student Center will be Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:59 pm EST. The last day to accept your summer loans will be Friday, August 19, 2016 at 4:59 pm EST.
|Step||What You Need To Do||Instructions|
|Step 1||Complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)||You must be registered for at least six (6) credit hours before completing the 2016 Summer Aid Application. If you drop below six (6) credit hours, you will not be eligible for Federal Direct Loans or TAP.|
|Step 2||Confirm that you are a matriculated University at Buffalo student for the 2016 summer term.||A matriculated student is a student who has applied and been officially accepted to the university through an undergraduate or graduate admissions process and is eligible to pursue a degree-granting program.|
|Step 3||Meet all Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to qualify for federal financial aid.||After every payment period/term, a review of a student’s progress is conducted to determine if SAP standards were met. A student’s failure to meet SAP standards may result in the loss of federal financial aid eligibility.|
|Step 4||Be compliant with the Return of Title IV regulations in order to maintain summer federal financial aid eligibility.||
|Step 5||Register for summer classes and then complete the 2016 Summer Aid Application available via the HUB Student Center.||Log into MyUB and access the HUB Student Center. The Summer Aid Application is listed under the “Finances” section. You can only submit an electronic application once. The last day to apply for Summer Financial Aid, in your HUB Student Center is Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:59 pm EST. The last day to accept your summer loans is August 19, 2016 at 4:59 pm EST.|
|Step 6||Submit all requested documents to our office.||If we request any documents to complete your financial aid file they will be listed in the HUB Student Center “To Do List” box. Your financial aid will not disburse to your student account until all documents have been processed.|
|Step 7||You must complete the Study Abroad Checklist if you are planning on studying abroad.||Students who have been accepted into such a program need to make sure that all of their financial aid paperwork is in order before the travel begins.|
Types of Summer Financial Aid
- Federal Pell Grant: You will be automatically considered for a Federal Pell Grant for the summer if you have filed the 2016-2017 FAFSA and are eligible for a Pell Grant based on those results. Pell funds will disburse to your student account AFTER the summer census date.
- Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized and Unsubsidized): If you receive Federal Direct Loans during the summer term, it will decrease the amount available during the subsequent fall/spring semesters. Federal Regulations allow an annual 12 month maximum loan limit depending on your year in college. Loan limits are as follows: Dependent students: Freshmen $5,500; Sophomore $6,500; Junior & Senior $7,500. Independent students: Freshmen $9,500; Sophomore $10,500; Junior & Senior $12,500; Graduate $20,500.
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan: Complete the 2016 Summer Aid Application (PDF). Parent borrowers must also complete the Parent PLUS Loan application on StudentLoans.gov and pass a basic credit check to be eligible. Parents may borrow up to the amount of the student’s cost of education minus other financial aid received, including any other educational loans.
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan for Graduate Students: Complete the 2016 Summer Aid Application (PDF) in HUB. You must also complete the Graduate PLUS Loan application on StudentLoans.gov and pass a basic credit check to be eligible. You may borrow up to the amount of the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received, including any other educational loans.
- New York State TAP Grant: We do not recommend that you use TAP for the summer term as it will reduce the amount of your final TAP award. Please remember that TAP is only awarded for eight (8) semesters (10 semesters for EOP students).
- TAP is only available to undergraduate New York State residents and can only be requested for the summer if you have earned at least 24 credits at the University at Buffalo and were enrolled full-time in the previous spring semester.
- NOTE: If you are awarded a full-time summer TAP award, you will receive it in October of the current year and your spring TAP award will be deferred until October of the following year. If you are awarded a part-time summer TAP award, it will be deferred until October of the following year. We do not receive payment from HESC until your award comes in; therefore we will not credit you for summer TAP or reimburse you until that time. You are responsible for those charges in the interim.
- Private/Alternative Loan: You may select any lender of your choice. Please allow up to 3 weeks for processing. You will need to use UB’s school code of 002837 on your application. Otherwise, this may delay processing of your alternative loan.
Refunding Your Financial Aid
Disbursement of summer funds will be based on your summer enrollment. Federal Direct Loans will begin disbursing after the first day of classes if you are enrolled for a minimum of six credits. The Federal Pell grant will begin refunding after the summer 2016 census date for ALL summer sessions.
You may have your financial aid refunds direct deposited into your checking or savings account at any U.S. bank you choose.
Study Abroad Consortium Agreement
If you are enrolling in a Non-SUNY Study Abroad Program and would like the University at Buffalo to process your financial aid, please schedule an appointment with your financial aid advisor to initiate the Study Abroad Consortium Agreement process no later than June 1, 2016. You may schedule an appointment by calling 716-645-8232. You must complete this form, submit it to the Host Institution for processing and return it to our office no later than July 8, 2016.
- Institutions are not required to participate in a consortium agreement; it is your responsibility to ensure that the host school will participate.
- Courses must be used towards your degree program and must transfer back to UB.
- The agreement is good for only one term (summer) and for only one host school.
Calculating Your Estimated Cost of Attendance and Your Financial Aid for Summer 2016
Remember to borrow only what you need. What you borrow for summer will restrict how much you can borrow for the fall 2016 and spring 2017 terms.
|1) Estimate Your Cost of Attendance|
|$____________________||Tuition and Fees
($270.00 per credit hour for undergraduate/in-state)
($898.00 per credit hour for undergraduate/out of state)
($453.00 per credit hour for graduate/in-state)
($925.00 per credit hour for graduate/out of state)
|$____________________||Student Activity Fee
($17.52 per session for undergraduate)
($3.00 per session for graduate – $6.00 MAXIMUM)
($5.00 TOTAL for undergraduate and graduate)
|$____________________||Summer Book Costs|
|$____________________||Summer Housing and Board (if applicable)
(Financial Aid for housing is based solely on sessions attending. If you are not enrolled in classes for the entire summer, you will not get financial aid to cover the entire summer).
|$____________________||(A) TOTAL SUMMER COSTS|
|2) Estimate Your Financial Aid Resources|
|$____________________||Total personal financial resources you have available|
|$____________________||Total outside resources (i.e., ACCES-VR, Veteran Benefits, Summer Employment)|
|$____________________||(B) TOTAL SUMMER RESOURCES|
|3) Total Estimated Financial Aid Needed|
|$___________ (A) minus (B)||This is the amount of financial aid (total of loans & TAP) you should request on the front page of the Summer Aid Application. Please note; PELL will automatically be factored in if you are a PELL eligible recipient.|
Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.