Verification refers to the process of confirming the information reported on your FAFSA is accurate. Students selected for verification will be asked to submit supporting documentation to enable the financial aid team to complete the verification.
How do I know if I have to complete the verification process?
If you are selected for verification, a list of required documentation will be added to your HUB Student Center To Do List. You will also receive a Missing Information Notification email letting you know the checklist items were added.
How does the verification process affect my financial aid?
UB will not disburse any federal financial aid awards to your account until the verification review process has been completed.
I have been selected for verification. What do I do now?
Students selected for verification will be asked to supply the following:
- Dependent or Independent Student Verification Form (your To Do List will indicate which form you should complete)
- Copy of signed IRS Tax Transcript (Your To Do List and the UB Verification Form will indicate which filing year is required)
- Copy of schedules or Addendums to your Federal Income Tax Return (Only if Requested)
- Copy of Social Security benefits statement (Only if requested)
- Copy of budget letter for public assistance recipients (Only if requested)
- Copy of your Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (Only if requested)
You may be asked to submit additional items during the review process as necessary.
TIP! The items listed in your HUB To Do List are hyperlinked to details about the requirement! Click on each item for information explaining what is needed to satisfy the requirement.
Submitted documents will not be returned so we recommend that you submit clear copies instead of original documents.
To prevent processing delays:
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to pull your income information from your tax return into your FAFSA;
- Complete the Dependent or Independent Verification Form in its entirety. Do not leave blanks;
- Put your UB Person Number at the top of each page of each document that you submit;
- Submit ONLY the documentation that has been requested (schedules and addendums to tax returns only need to be submitted if specifically requested);
- Submit all documentation at the same time.
Incomplete documents will be returned via postal mail to the student’s permanent address on file.
Submitting Documents to our Office
We strongly recommend that you submit all documents within 14 days of receipt of the Verification notice.
University at Buffalo
Financial Aid Office
115 A Porter Quad
Buffalo, NY 14261-0051
- 1Capen on the North Campus
- 114 Diefendorf on the South Campus
Print your name and UB person number at the top of each page of each document submitted. Remember to make photocopies for your records.
Required verification documentation must be received by the Financial Aid Office no later than 14 calendar days prior to your last day of attendance of the academic year in which you are requesting the aid to be applied. If you are only seeking a Federal Pell Grant, you must submit your documentation to the Financial Aid Office within 165 days after your last day of attendance of the academic year in which you are requesting the aid to be applied.
Expect Financial Aid Emails
After reviewing the documents you submitted, we may need to request additional information and/or documentation to resolve any remaining discrepancies. We will send an email to your buffalo.edu email account with details about what it needed. We will also notify you by email when the review process is complete.
All documents must be received before any financial aid can be disbursed to your account.
Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.