In addition to the tens of thousands of dollars provided by New York State Scholarships, a sampling of actual undergraduate scholarship providers from the past few years is provided below. Students secured these awards by researching employers, community-based organizations, and their spheres of influence, interest and talent.
- Alden Scholarship Foundation Dollars for Scholars
- The Clark Foundation
- Cornell University Children’s Tuition Fund
- Joint Industry Board of the Electrical Industry
- Northrop Grumman Engineering Scholars
- Ronald McDonald House Charities
- United Federation of Teachers
- United Food & Commercial Workers International Union
- United States Bowling Congress
- Westchester Golf Association
Regional Community Foundations
The Community Foundation for Greater Buffalo offers scholarships to permanent residents of Western New York who are full-time undergraduates (a limited number are available for graduate students in specialized fields). Transfer students and continuing students may apply as well as admitted UB freshmen. Apply online directly through the organization.
These New York State community foundations also offer scholarship applications for regional residents. If your area is not listed, your regional foundation may either limit scholarships to specific colleges or manage applications directly through area high schools. The Grantsmanship Center also provides a summary of community foundations which give in New York State.
- Chautauqua Region Community Foundation
- Community Foundation of Elmira-Corning and the Finger Lakes
- Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region
- Northern New York Community Foundation, Inc.
- Rochester Area Community Foundation
- Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley
Say Yes To Education
Say Yes to Education Buffalo and Say Yes to Education Syracuse provide UB scholarship funds to residents of Buffalo and Syracuse who graduate from a public or charter school in either city. Apply online directly through the organization.
Partner Organization Scholarships
- The University at Buffalo Educational Opportunity Program is a regular sponsor of the Western New York Liga De Mujeres Hispanas annual dinner which raises scholarship funds for Hispanic women in Erie and Niagara Counties.
- The Western New York Chapter of the Association for Bridge Construction and Design, a longtime sponsor of UB’s ASCE Steel Bridge Team, offers competitive scholarships annually.
- The American Association of University Women, and many of its branches, offer regionally-specific scholarships to prospective and current college students.
- The United University Professional College Scholarship Fund aids students attending SUNY campuses.
- The American Federation of Teachers offers scholarships to dependents of AFT members.
Scholarships for DACA Students
- The Dream US
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund
- DREAMer’s Roadmap App
- National Association of Student Financial Aid Advisors, Tip Sheet for Undocumented Students (PDF)
- Scholarship America Dream Award
Foster Care to Success Scholarships
The Foster Care to Success Scholarship program funds tuition and certain approved living expenses for college-bound students with a history of foster care who meet the published criteria. Apply online directly through the organization.
Buffalo Urban League Scholarship Program
The Buffalo Urban League is one of the Western New York region’s largest providers of scholarships to college-bound G.E.D. recipients and high school seniors from Erie County. Award criteria include financial need, academic achievement, character, and community service participation. Apply online directly through the organization.
Steps for Students and Scholarship Providers
You are required to report all scholarships you earn to the Financial Aid Office. Mail checks to the University at Buffalo, Student Accounts Office, 1Capen, Buffalo, NY 14260. Checks should be made payable to the “University at Buffalo” and include the UB Student ID# and instructions about whether to pay in a lump sum or to pay over multiple semesters. If UB enrollment verification is required as a condition of the award, instructions are available on the Office of the Registrar website.
Scholarship Search Services
- College Board Scholarship Search
- Fast Web Scholarship Search
- Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU)
- Peterson’s College Bound
- Pre-College Micro Scholarships
- SallieMae Scholarship Search
- U.S. Department of Education
- U.S. Department of Labor
- U.S. News Scholarship Coach
UB does not routinely screen, approve, review, or endorse the content, products, or services that may be offered on the external websites provided. In no event shall UB be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any such content, goods or services available on or through any such site or resource. Please be advised that some of the links use social media applications and use of these websites is subject to privacy rules and policies of those website operators. Read more about how to protect yourself from scholarship scams.
Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.