Study Abroad Checklist
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and Express TAP Application (for NY State residents only)
- You must be registered for at least six (6) credit hours in order to be eligible for Federal Student Aid.
- Acknowledge UB Financial Aid Terms and Conditions and accept the financial aid awards via HUB.
- Submit all required documents to the Financial Aid Office:
- Detailed list of program costs (for financial aid recipients only; this information is needed for a budget increase and should be brought in during a financial aid advising appointment)
- Acceptance notification from program (for financial aid recipients only; this information is needed for a budget increase and should be brought in during a financial aid advising appointment)
- First time borrowers must complete entrance counseling (PDF) and an Electronic Master Promissory Note (e-MPN) (PDF) for Federal Direct Loans
- Complete and notarize a Power of Attorney (POA) form at any bank and leave your designated proxy.
- Update local and permanent address via HUB.
- Enroll in the university’s Direct Deposit Program. (This free service will allow financial aid refunds to be directly deposited into your bank account.)
- Complete registration form with the Office of Study Abroad Programs (if participating in a UB or SUNY program).
Graduating Seniors Only
- Complete Exit Counseling (PDF) for Direct Loans, Perkins and/or Health Profession Loans.
- File degree application (Undergraduate Student) and/or Application to Candidacy (Graduate Student) with the Office of the Registrar.
Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.