Merit Scholarship Eligibility Requirements
If you receive a merit scholarship offer letter from Undergraduate Admissions or International Admissions, you have until May 1 to accept that offer. After that date, offers which have not been accepted are permanently withdrawn.
Presidential Scholars access an online Honors College site to formally accept the scholarship and the waiver of your tuition deposit. Presidential Scholarships are adjusted annually according to individual student aid packages, since these funds may not exceed the cost of attendance in any aid year.
Please note that students may only receive one of these offers, so if you receive a new letter with an increased amount, the original offer is superseded by the higher amount.
Scholarship recipients must register for full-time status each semester (at least 12 credits).
- Registration is verified at the end of the university’s drop/add period.
- Merit scholarship payments will be withheld when a student falls below full-time status, but will be reinstated within an academic year, if status reverts to full-time.
- The successful completion of at least 24 credits each year (summer, fall, winter, spring) is required. (Please note that for a typical undergraduate to Finish in Four years, 30 credit hours per year are recommended).
- Must maintain their enrollment in the University Honors College with an overall UB GPA of at least 3.30 during their first year.
- Must maintain their enrollment in the University Honors College with an overall UB GPA of at least a 3.50 for successive years.
- Who leave the Honors College yet maintain an overall UB GPA of 3.00 may be awarded a Provost Scholarship.
All other merit scholarship recipients must maintain an overall UB GPA of at least 3.00, except for Transfer Merit Scholarships, which require a minimum UB GPA of 2.50.
Details relevant to all merit scholarship academic reviews:
- Only courses taken at UB are considered in the review of scholarship eligibility (transfer courses are not considered).
- Academic performance is reviewed at the end of each spring semester. Summer course grades will count in the subsequent year GPA review.
- Any student who does not maintain the overall UB GPA required for the scholarship will receive notification of scholarship ineligibility via his/her UB email account.
- If a student becomes ineligible for a scholarship based upon academic performance, the scholarship is permanently terminated and can only be reinstated through an Merit Scholarship Appeal (PDF).
Provost, International Merit and Acker Scholarship award amounts will be adjusted if your residency status changes while your scholarship is active. You can inquire at firstname.lastname@example.org before changing your residency to determine your updated scholarship amount. Some cases which apply include:
- International or out-of-state scholarship recipients who become official New York State residents.
- Students who are U.S. veterans, a spouse or a dependent of a veteran affected by the 2015 SUNY policy (PDF).
Scholarships are granted to students for a maximum of either four (4) semesters* or eight (8) semesters** of undergraduate study.
NOTE: Students in approved combined degree programs will continue to receive their scholarships for the maximum number of allowable semesters (not to exceed 8 semesters).
NOTE: Students who take an approved Leave of Absence (LOA) from the university are eligible to have their scholarship reinstated upon their return (they must have an overall UB GPA of at least 3.00, or 3.5 for Presidential Scholars, and must have completed at least 12 credits in the semester previous to the LOA). The semester(s) students are on an Official Leave will not count against total scholarship eligibility.
*The following scholarships have a maximum eligibility of four (4) semesters:
- Provost 2 year Scholarship
- Transfer Student Merit Scholarship
**The following scholarships have a maximum eligibility of eight (8) semesters:
- Daniel Acker Scholarship
- International Scholarship
- Millonzi Distinguished Honors Scholarship
- Presidential Scholarship
- Provost 4 year Scholarship
- Joseph Camerata Charitable Trust Scholarship
If you are a prospective UB freshman and have questions about undergraduate university-based merit scholarships/scholarship qualifications, visit the Undergraduate Admissions website.Continuing students with questions about maintaining your merit scholarship can direct inquiries to:
- Daniel Acker Scholarship: Danielle Johnson at email@example.com, Kedra Cadogan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-645-7301.
- Dean’s Scholarships:
- International Scholarship: Roseanne Johnson at UBFA@buffalo.edu or 716-645-8232
- Joseph Camerata Charitable Trust Scholarship: Debra Palka at email@example.com or 716-645-0441
- Presidential Scholarship: Timothy Matthews at firstname.lastname@example.org or 716-645-3020
- Provost Scholarship: Roseanne Johnson at UBFA@buffalo.edu or 716-645-8232
- Transfer Student Merit Scholarships: Roseanne Johnson at UBFA@buffalo.edu or 716-645-8232
Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.