Three students talking at the entrance of the Center for the Arts.


Phone: 716-645-8232
Fax: 716-645-6566


Mailing Address

  • 115 A Porter Quad, Buffalo, NY 14261-0051

Phone Hours

  • M - Th: 9 am - 4 pm
  • F: 10:30 am - 4 pm

Office Hours

  • North Campus
    Porter Quad, Building 2
    • M - Th: 8:30 am - 5 pm
    • F: 10:30 am - 5 pm

    Student Response Center (SRC)
    232 Capen Hall
    • M - F: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

  • South Campus
    104 Harriman Hall
    • M, W, Th: 8:30 am - 5 pm
    • Tu: 10 am - 5 pm
    • F: 11 am - 5 pm


The University at Buffalo is proud to be designated as a "Military Friendly School"There are a variety of federal, state and institutional benefits available to help veterans and qualified dependents of veterans pursue college.

Veteran Services

UB's Veteran Services is a comfortable place where student veterans can get support on veterans' benefits, academic policies and campus resources to support academic success. Veteran Service's mission is to ease your transition into college, and help you balance college life with your military, career, family and personal goals. Contact Veteran Services early to take advantage of the services and programs available to you throughout your UB career.

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Assistance Programs

The Department of Veterans Affairs sponsors several education assistance programs to qualified veterans and active duty service members.

Use the VA Education Programs Comparison Chart to determine which benefit you may be eligible to receive.

Your decision to apply for a certain education benefit could impact your eligibility for other benefits. Here are a few factors to keep in mind:

You can begin the application process in one of the following ways:

UB's Veteran Services is available to assist you in determining your eligibility for specific education assistance programs as well as to guide you through the application process.

Federal and State Financial Aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine your eligibility for federal financial aid. You may be eligible for a Pell Grant or low-interest Direct Loans regardless of your eligibility for Veterans education benefits.

If you are a resident of New York State, complete the Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) application, along with the New York State Veterans Tuition Award Supplement to determine if you are eligible for the Veterans Tuition Award through New York State.

The Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program (RIRP) is a New York State program designed to recruit and retain quality members for the New York Army and Air National Guard and the Naval Militia. Effective 1 January 1997, any active member of the New York National Guard or Naval Militia, in good standing, is eligible to apply to receive tuition assistance, up to the cost of the State University of New York's (SUNY) maximum in-state undergraduate tuition, at any college, university, or community-technical college in the State of New York recognized and approved by the New York State Board of Regents or State University of New York.

In-State Tuition Rate Information

The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) makes it possible for dependents of members of the Armed Forces to be eligible for in–state tuition rates.

Provisions in the Veterans Access to Care Through Choice, Accountability Act of 2014 require all public Universities to offer in-state tuition to Veterans and their dependents.

Visit the Office of Student Accounts New York State Residency website for information on application requirements and deadlines.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.

Last updated: October 14, 2015 2:24 pm EST