Students walking on North Campus.


Phone: 716-645-8232
Fax: 716-645-7760


Mailing Address

  • 232 Capen Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260

Phone Hours

  • M - Th: 9 am - 4 pm
  • F: 10:30 am - 4 pm

Office Hours

  • North Campus
    Porter Quad, Building 2
    • M - Th: 8:30 am - 5 pm
    • F: 10:30 am - 5 pm

    Student Response Center (SRC)
    232 Capen Hall
    • M - F: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

  • South Campus
    104 Harriman Hall
    • M, W, Th: 8:30 am - 5 pm
    • Tu: 10 am - 5 pm
    • F: 11 am - 5 pm

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Do I qualify for financial aid?

You must meet the following criteria:

I’m not sure how to start this process; who can help me get started?

This website is designed to help you get started. Prospective and transferring undergraduate students, or prospective graduate students will find useful information on this website. If you still need assistance, please visit our team at the Student Response Center (Monday - Friday: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm at 232 Capen Hall, North Campus or Monday - Friday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm at 104 Harriman Hall, South Campus). The Admissions website offers information about visiting UB and maps of the campuses.

Should I provide my social security number when I apply for admission using the Common Application or the SUNY Application?

Yes, you should provide your social security number on your undergraduate admissions application. If you do not, we will not be able to match your FAFSA record with your admissions record will result in the delay of your financial aid offer.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Each year, you will need to complete the U.S. Department of Education’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Where do I get a FAFSA?

You may complete the FAFSA online at

When should I complete the FAFSA?

The FAFSA should be completed as early as possible after January 1 of the year you are applying. It is important to complete by March 1 if you are considering campus-based funds, such as Federal Work-Study Awards, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), and Health Professions Loans.

Should I complete the FAFSA if I have been told that I probably am not eligible for financial aid?

Yes, you should still complete the FAFSA to determine if you are eligible for aid including student loans.

Can I still apply for financial aid if I have not completed my taxes?

Yes, you may complete the FAFSA using estimated amounts. It is more important to meet the March 1 priority deadline. You can go back into the FAFSA and update your income after you file your return(s).

What is the Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)?

The FWS is a federally funded program that assists students with the costs of postsecondary education. It is designed to provide students with an opportunity to work on campus and earn money for personal expenses.

What is the University at Buffalo’s Federal School code to be entered on the FAFSA?

The Federal School Code is 002837.

I have completed my FAFSA, what happens next?

A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be available after filing the FAFSA. This will be available as hard copy or electronically. An email will be sent explaining how to access this information, which indicates your expected family contribution (EFC). This information will be used by financial aid to determine your eligibility. For new undergraduate students an award letter will follow with the details of the offered awards, new graduate/professional and continuing students will be sent an email directing them to view their awards online through the HUB Student Center via MyUB.

What do I do with the SAR after receiving it?

Review the Student Aid Report (SAR) for errors. If corrections are necessary, you may do this electronically, or may mail the Federal Student Aid processor. If no corrections are needed, retain the SAR for your files. Your financial information will be electronically transferred to UB. Do not submit the SAR (or your tax return) to our office, unless requested.

In addition to financial aid, is there any other program to assist me with paying for college?

The Payment Plan is designed to assist those who may find it difficult to pay the total semester bill by the due date. The plan divides the semester charges into four (4) equal installments, depending on when you enroll.

I have received my electronic Award Letter. What is my next step?

You may accept or decline your financial aid award through the HUB Student Center via MyUB.

I have accepted my award. Am I through with the financial aid process?

Certain types of aid, including a Federal Direct Parent Loan, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Perkins Loan, Health Professions Loan, or Nursing Loan require additional processing.

What is the Financial Aid Census Date?

The day a snapshot is taken of a student's registration for financial aid purposes. The following federal financial aid awards: Pell, TEACH and Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants are based on UB credit hours registered by 11:59 pm EST on this date. There is a census date for each semester — summer, fall and spring.

Where do I find information related to my student bill?

Many answers can be found on the Student Accounts website. To answer specific questions, please contact the Student Accounts at 716-645-1800 or in-person at 232 Capen Hall or via email at

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.

Last updated: August 26, 2015 6:00 am EST