Crosby Hall in the winter.


Phone: 716-645-8232
Fax: 716-645-7760


Mailing Address

  • 232 Capen Hall, Buffalo, NY 14260

Phone Hours

  • M - Th: 9 am - 4 pm
  • F: 10:30 am - 4 pm

Office Hours

  • North Campus
    Porter Quad, Building 2
    • M - Th: 8:30 am - 5 pm
    • F: 10:30 am - 5 pm

    Student Response Center (SRC)
    232 Capen Hall
    • M - F: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

  • South Campus
    104 Harriman Hall
    • M, W, Th: 8:30 am - 5 pm
    • Tu: 10 am - 5 pm
    • F: 11 am - 5 pm

Winter Session 2016 Financial Aid Eligibility

Current UB students may be eligible for financial aid for Winter Session.

To be considered to receive financial aid:

Winter Session Financial Aid FAQ

Is UB’s Winter Session considered a winter term for financial aid eligibility?

No. For financial aid purposes, the Winter Session is not considered a stand-alone term. However, the Office of Financial Aid will adjust your cost of attendance for spring to include Winter Session registration. Any courses taken during this session will be combined with spring registration to determine federal financial aid eligibility. New York State awards will be based on Spring registration only.

Is there financial aid available for the Winter Session?

Only currently matriculated University at Buffalo students may be eligible for aid for the Winter Session. Federal financial aid eligibility is based upon the combined winter and spring registration. There is no state financial aid available for the Winter Session.

How do I apply for federal aid for the Winter Session?

You must have a 2015-2016 FAFSA on file to be eligible for federal aid. There is no additional application required. The Office of Financial Aid will automatically review your federal eligibility based on combined winter/spring registration.

Can I receive financial aid if I'm planning to graduate after the Winter Session?

It is highly recommended you contact your financial aid advisor to determine if there is aid eligibility prior to the end of the fall semester, December 21, 2015.

Will my Spring financial aid awards pay for my Winter Session courses?

Your Spring financial aid may pay for both Winter and Spring charges. If your award is not enough to cover both terms, you will see a balance that remains on both the Winter and Spring terms. Keep in mind, additional charges will reduce any anticipated refunds.

I’m already registered full time for the Spring semester. How can I cover the cost for Winter registration?

If you’ve already been awarded a full-time package based upon your grade level and dependency status, adding Winter registration will not increase your Pell or Direct Loan eligibility. Federal Direct PLUS loans, Private loans or the Spring term Payment Plan may be options to help you cover your expenses.

When are my loans going to disburse and refund if I take classes during the Winter Session?

Financial Aid funds will disburse to the student’s account on or after February 4, following the Spring census date of February 1. If there is a credit on the account, refunds will be done after the Spring Census date.

Can my PLUS loan be increased to cover my Winter Session expenses?

We will not automatically increase your PLUS loan if you add Winter registration. Your current Spring aid including any PLUS loans you are receiving will apply toward both your Winter and Spring charges. If it's not enough to cover all of the charges, you can submit an additional PLUS loan application.

Can I use my Federal Work-Study funding to work hours during Winter Session?

Students awarded with Federal Work-Study for the 2015-2016 academic year will be permitted to work during the Winter Session providing the employer is able to accommodate the student during this period.

Will Satisfactory Academic Progress status be reviewed at the completion of the Winter Session?

There is no review after the Winter Session. Therefore, your Winter grades will not change your federal financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) status for Spring semester. SAP will be reviewed at the conclusion of the spring semester. Prior to adding or resigning any courses, contact your financial and academic advisors.

What happens to my financial aid if I resign a Winter course(s)?

Financial aid awards are based on combined winter and spring credit hours registered by the spring census date, February 1, 2015. If your registration falls below full-time (12 credit hours—combined winter and spring registration), your financial aid award will be adjusted. Prior to resigning any course, you should contact your financial aid and academic advisors.

I want to participate in a Study Abroad program during Winter Session. May I use my financial aid to cover additional expenses?

A Study Abroad program during this session will be combined with spring registration to determine financial aid eligibility. The Financial Aid Office is unable to authorize aid to disburse prior to the start of your program. Make arrangements to use personal funds to pay for travel and other expenses that you may incur prior to the start of your program. The Office of Financial Aid is unable to authorize Federal financial aid to disburse prior to the start of your program. We recommend you contact your assigned Financial Aid Advisor to discuss options for financing your Study Abroad program in advance of your travel.

Will the Financial Aid offices be open?

Yes, the Financial Aid Office in Porter Quad Building 2, 104 Harriman Hall, and the Student Response Center in 232 Capen Hall will be open with regular business hours.

Information is subject to change without notice due to changes in federal, state and/or institutional rules and regulations. Students must complete a FAFSA every year. Students must be making satisfactory academic progress to continue to receive financial aid.

Last updated: September 15, 2015 2:52 pm EST